Tuesday, September 1

FL2015 Classes

I've finally had all 5 of my classes so here's a summary.
Personal Narrative and Memoir Writing- The teacher is really nice and funny and approachable and uses her first name. The small class is full of people I feel comfortable around so that's good for a writing class. I'm looking forward to writing.
African Civ- The professor is awesome. Not quirky or anything but a really forward thinking guy. It's gonna be a fantastic discussion class. People are willing to talk which makes class a lot easier. There's a lot of reading of course, but I'm gonna learn A LOT. I love history classes. They're SO much fun, and so far the deepest thinking ones I've had.
Human variation- The professor is old, and all the stereotypes apply. A bit bumbling, plain white slides, never finishes what we're supposed to learn in a class period, somewhat dry lectures. Apparently the book is heavy reading, but it hasn't arrived yet. The professor is a nice guy though and progressive on race (because he studies adaptation). My TA from last semester that I babysit for is also the TA for this class.
Abnormal psychology- The professor teaches barefoot. Casual dress. Had an Indian wedding with his Indian wife and has a cute mixed baby (whose footprint he has tattooed on his own foot). Flipflop tan. Paces back and forth across the entire stage. BUT he's a really nice dude with progressive views on mental illness and very anti-stigma. He introduces himself with his first name. I talked to him after class. He's a cool, chill guy. He gives an interesting lecture.
Photojournalism- I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop this class because the professor is unbelievably annoying. She won't shut up. Talks loudly and is all over the place. Tells uninteresting anecdote after anecdote instead of teaching the material. Is very blunt, even obnoxious. BUT I really want to learn how to work a camera and take good pictures, so I'm struggling with my decision. It's 2.5 hours at night. So I have to sit through 2.5 hours of her yelling things and expressing her own opinion like the one truth. I don't quite know what to do.
I've been biking to campus every day. Today I biked in a dress. It's an easy ride and I wear my helmet (which isn't very common/cool). I'm still trying to find a nightstand. Our apartment is coming together and is looking pretty cute. I'm going to start cooking tonight. The light in my room wakes me up by 8 every day. I'm in bed by 10 every night. I have lunch every day at the Rodriguez table so I get my socialization in. Things are alright. My cold is slowly getting better. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment